Posted by The Ethiopia Observatory (TEO)
A TRUE POLITICIAN’S PRICELESS QUALITIES
- Max Weber
"The government [Ethiopian] rules in a kind of commando fashion rather than building up strong governance institutions. This leads to a personalization of politics which raises important questions about the long-term sustainability of the current order. Ministers get involved in micro-managing policy – a practice that cannot be continued if the country does move to a higher level of development.
There will be increasing pressures to open the system up, but the ruling party is very reluctant to do so. It recognizes the need for capacity-building as such, but has yet to fully fathom that it will also have to increasingly cede some decision-making to civil society and autonomous actors in it. Western donors seem intent on pointing out that doing so can be of great benefit to Ethiopia as a whole and will help galvanize rather than impede its development."
NATO Parliamentary Delegation Report
Delegation visited Ethiopia 25-29 October 2010
Follow TEO on TwitterMy Tweets
QUOTATION FOR THE AGES
"When they [government officials] first came they told us an investor was coming and we would develop the land alongside one another. They didn't say the land would be taken away from us entirely. I don't understand why the government took the land."
Farmer Gemechu Garbaba
His wife adds:
"Since the land was taken away from us we are impoverished. Nothing has gone right for us, since these investors came."
Africa succumbs to colonial-style land grab
Channel 4 News, 7 January 2012
Top Posts & Pages
- No to Dr. Tedros Adhanom as next WHO director-general! PART I
- 2014 performance ranking of Ethiopia's 31 universities: An old nation as beginner & in doubt
- President Donald Trump calls Egypt's president Sisi
- What a year for Ethiopian banks! Money rains from its dry skies!
- Five private colleges closed down in Ethiopia for quality reasons; 13 others given a year to improve
- በዞን ዘጠኝ አባላት ላይ የተፈጸመው ግፍና ጭካኔ፥ ኢትዮጵያ በሕወሃት አስተዳደር ለልጆቿ ጋሃነም መደረጓን ቁልጭ አድርጎ ያሣያል!
- Ethiopia's 2014 employment report issued; CSA's 17.4% national urban jobless rate viewed with skepticism
- Improving Education Quality, Equity and Access in Ethiopia
- ሙሉ ክፍያ የከፈሉ የ40/60 ተመዝጋቢዎች ራሳቸውን ችለው ቤቶቻቸውን እንዲያሠሩ ማግባባት ተጀመረ
- ካድሬው ፓትርያርክ በቤተ ክርስቲያን ውስጥ ያለን አካል አክራሪና አሸባሪ ካሉ በውግዘት እንደሚለዩ ቅዱስ ሲኖዶሱ በጥብቅ አስጠነቀቃቸው! የዕለቱ የምልአተ ጉባኤው ውሎ በድንገት ተቋረጠ