Posted by The Ethiopia Observatory (TEO)
by Felix Horne, Huffington Post
Ethiopian security forces gunned down at least 100 people a week ago in the bloodiest weekend in the ninth month of anti-government protests. Unlike previous protests, which have been largely confined to the Oromia region, the protests on August 6 and 7 were also in the northern Amhara region. Altogether at least 500 people have been killed since November and tens of thousands have been detained during the largely peaceful protests.
Posted by The Ethiopia Observatory (TEO)
By Keffyalew Gebremedhin The Ethiopia Observatory (TEO)
Today, the prevailing wisdom amongst Ethiopians is that Western support is guilty of rendering the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) – Ethiopia’s ruling party – arrogant. It has emboldened it to determinedly pursue its trademark violent anti-democratic and anti-human rights policies, seen during this past quarter century.
As a not thoroughly-vetted carte blanche political gift, it has strongly and harmfully influenced the course of political history in Ethiopia.
Continue reading →
Tags: absence of accountability, Dictators-packed HRC, ethiopia, home demolitions, human rights council, Human Rights Council 34th session, Human Rights Watch (HRW), Int'l indifference to human rights, Killings and imprisonments, Secretary-General Antonio Gutierres, Senator James Inhofe, State of emergency law, Tags: Denial of freedoms, Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), TPLF festivities at Burj al-Arab Jumeirah, TPLF land grab, tplf oppression & repression, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, UNHCR, United Nations, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein
- Categories Ethiopa
A TRUE POLITICIAN’S PRICELESS QUALITIES
- Max Weber
"The government [Ethiopian] rules in a kind of commando fashion rather than building up strong governance institutions. This leads to a personalization of politics which raises important questions about the long-term sustainability of the current order. Ministers get involved in micro-managing policy – a practice that cannot be continued if the country does move to a higher level of development.
There will be increasing pressures to open the system up, but the ruling party is very reluctant to do so. It recognizes the need for capacity-building as such, but has yet to fully fathom that it will also have to increasingly cede some decision-making to civil society and autonomous actors in it. Western donors seem intent on pointing out that doing so can be of great benefit to Ethiopia as a whole and will help galvanize rather than impede its development."
NATO Parliamentary Delegation Report
Delegation visited Ethiopia 25-29 October 2010
Follow TEO on TwitterMy Tweets
QUOTATION FOR THE AGES
"When they [government officials] first came they told us an investor was coming and we would develop the land alongside one another. They didn't say the land would be taken away from us entirely. I don't understand why the government took the land."
Farmer Gemechu Garbaba
His wife adds:
"Since the land was taken away from us we are impoverished. Nothing has gone right for us, since these investors came."
Africa succumbs to colonial-style land grab
Channel 4 News, 7 January 2012
Top Posts & Pages
- Does Dr. Tedros Adhanom have the qualifications & integrity to become next WHO Director-General?
- No to Dr. Tedros Adhanom as next WHO director-general! PART I
- በዞን ዘጠኝ አባላት ላይ የተፈጸመው ግፍና ጭካኔ፥ ኢትዮጵያ በሕወሃት አስተዳደር ለልጆቿ ጋሃነም መደረጓን ቁልጭ አድርጎ ያሣያል!
- 2014 performance ranking of Ethiopia's 31 universities: An old nation as beginner & in doubt
- Ethiopia's 2014 employment report issued; CSA's 17.4% national urban jobless rate viewed with skepticism
- ካድሬው ፓትርያርክ በቤተ ክርስቲያን ውስጥ ያለን አካል አክራሪና አሸባሪ ካሉ በውግዘት እንደሚለዩ ቅዱስ ሲኖዶሱ በጥብቅ አስጠነቀቃቸው! የዕለቱ የምልአተ ጉባኤው ውሎ በድንገት ተቋረጠ
- Small sample of latest Ethiopian scientists honored in foreign lands by foreign gov'ts & institutions
- US issues warning after Ethiopia grenade attacks
- ልብ በሉልኝ! የሕወሃት መሪዎችና ቅጥረኞቻቸው 30 ወገኖቻችንን በፈጀው አይሲስ ላይ ሳይሆን፣ አርብ ዕለት በባህር ዳር ጸረ-ሰማያዊ ፓርቲ ሠልፍ አደርጉ! ባርኔጣዬን ለሰማያዊ ፓርቲ አነሳሁ!
- Who is benefitting from Ethiopia's global brandname opals?